Monday, February 12, 2007

Dr Jekyll, and Mr Died.

So I have been leveling BLU for the last two weeks. My linkshell is doing a Garrison at the end of the month, and I need to get it to 30. Leveling to 30 would probably take most people a few days, a week at the most, but I think I can honestly say I am the worst level-er ever. (Level-er ever, that's kinda fun to say.)

Party Pasquale
My BLU party experiences have been different than what I am used to. I have spent almost all of my playtime with SMN, BLM, and WHM, and with the exception of BLM, am not used to doing damage while partying. BLU is different. With BLU, its all damage all the time, with a light sprinkling of Healing Breeze if something bad happens.

Now because this is my first time seriously using a DD job, I of course don't know how to do it right. I am not used to attacking, so I do it too much. As far as I'm concerned, my job is to hurt the mob so bad, his own mother won't recognize him. And for the most part, Mission: Accomplished.

Massive damage also brings massive hate, which brings along with it massive beatings, followed by some pretty massive death. When I learn the ability "Self-Control," I'll be in good shape, but until then, {Raise} {Can I have it?}

Something strange happened in my first Qufim party the other day. We had just killed our first mob, and we killed him with a vengeance.

Player: Finally, a BLU that knows what he's doing.

It took me a few minutes to realize I was the BLU he was talking about. I got all excited, because this clearly meant I was the best BLU ever. I thought about what I had done during the fight, and decided to keep doing it, so that everyone would love me.

I decided to turn up the heat:

/ma "Bludgeon"
/ma "Helldive"
/ma "Headbutt"
/ma "Bludgeon"
/ma "Helldive"
/ma "Headbutt"

Needless to say, the mob was not a fan and I was murdered. In one fight, I had gone from "knows what he's doing" to "zOmg, worst BLU evar."

Solo Pasquale
Blue Mages are very powerful. They can unleash a lot of hell in a little bit of time. This makes soloing both fun and easy.

This also makes our hero both cocky and stupid.

You know what's great? Having MP. You know what's not so great? You guessed it... Not having MP.

EXP chains are nice, but impossible with out MP. I have learned that the hard way several times over the last few days. Nothing sucks more than starting the fight with this message:

Pasquale does not have enough MP to cast Wild Oats.

Those fights tend to end poorly, and usually with me crying and HP-ing back to Windurst, because I keep forgetting to set my Home Point to Jeuno. (Three fucking times last night >< )

Links are also fun. I'm a big bad BLU, I can handle a Decent Challenge Bee and his EvenMatch friend at the same time, no problem...

...Or so I thought. After Bee #1's Final Sting nailed me for a third of my HP, I tried to use Pollen.

Pasquale cannot cast Pollen.

What what? Oh, right, I took it off while I was partying, to make room for Healing Breeze. Why not just use Healing Breeze then?

Pasquale does not have enough MP to cast Healing Breeze.

Balls. Aaaand cue Sharp Sting. And death. End scene.

1 comment:

Zerayla said...

Lol, sometimes I think the GMs intentionally follow you around and plot ways to see your taru eat the the dirt.

And hey, if you need some help getting your BLU lvled a bit, i'm sure there are a few people with jobs in LS that can party with you.